Animation Project 1 & 2

My First Attempt

I chose to follow the work and style of the Fleischer Brothers. I watched “Ouija Board” (1920), “False Alarm” (1923), “The Tantalizing Fly” (1919), and “The Clown’s Little Brother” (1920). Watching the brothers’ out-of-the-box animation process and animations inspired me to attempt to make my own animation look fluid like theirs. To do this I created my animation using a variety of different materials.

    To replicate their cell process I placed my background inside of a plastic sleeve and I used sharpie to draw the background instead of a pen/pencil to make sure that my marks above the cell matched the background. In the brothers’ animations Koko the Clown is made using fluid ink, and at times this ink would be a blob or puddle that turns into Koko. In order to make my animation fluid and ink-like, I decided to use a dry erase marker.

My animation itself was very smooth overall. To do this I made sure to keep myself from drawing or erasing too much at any particular time (frames 0-70). During the end of the animation I could have applied a couple extra frames, or duplicated a few frames, to make my action smoother and slower (frames 70-120).

Animating my character was more difficult than I had anticipated before animating it. I intentionally made my character an Ink Blob in order to utilize its ability to be fluid and mushy. However, when animating Blob I found the constant erasing and redrawing of his body tedious and redundant. I also found that the size of the eraser piece on my marker made drawing/erasing with accuracy impossible. Erasing the space for his mouth, hand/tendril, and eye was incredibly difficult. Reanimating this (and any other) character with marker would be much easier if I had a smaller eraser.

The entire action sequence at the end of the animation was a little unclear. I did not make the text (yawn and “…”s) large enough to be read, or on the screen long enough to be properly read. I also did not make the box change last long enough. Due to the walk-on being so long in the beginning, my entire action sequence in the end seemed rushed. I could fix this by extending the action sequence and by adding a couple extra frames for the texts.

My character did look shocked, but not nearly for enough time or with enough posture or expression. It was not very successful. I could have made Blob look more shocked by making him freak out and run away as the box grows dots.

Besides the eraser issue, animating Blob was not very difficult. I discovered from talking to others that it took considerably less time for me to animate using the cell process than it would have if I had animated Blob using individual index cards.

My Second Attempt (The Car 687)

I completely changed my animation for the second flick. I created a long background that traveled beneath my cell as I animated only a few pieces of the car on top of the cell. I also took six times as many frames as I did for my first animation. My second animation had a lot more happening throughout the entire video. With having a pre-drawn moving background I was able to focus more on the animation of my car and it’s interaction with my hand. I chose my hand as the moving/changing object that shocked and annoyed my animated character.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Fall 2015, Time-Based and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s